3 Best Ideas for Controlling Portion Size
Coach Sapna on November 05, 2016
Irrespective of whether you find yourself in front of a scrumptious meal in a party, at home, or in a restaurant, you need some specific methods to keep your portion sizes in check.
The Key to Losing Fat is Portion Control
One of the most important aspects when it comes to fat loss is to be honest to yourself. This handy guide to controlling portion size will help you do exactly that.
Some of the most accurate ways for keeping a track on portion size is to use measuring spoons, measuring cups, and a food scale. However, these are not exactly practical when it comes to maintenance of portion size, especially when it comes to ensuring a reasonable serving during your meals.
1. Use your hand to keep your portions in check
One of the simplest yet effective measuring tools for portion sizes are your hands. This literally means that the ability to control portion size is “in your hands!”
- When it comes to food items like beef, fish, chicken and other proteins, the width of your palm is the best measuring device.
- The cupped hand is the perfect measuring device when it comes to food items like almonds, potatoes, pasta and other starchy carbohydrates.
- Half a thumb is the measuring reference when it comes to food items like olive oil and butter, peanut butter, or any other types of fat.
- The fist is the measuring tool you need to use when it comes to fruit servings, popcorn, soup, salads, rice, sprouts, curry dal, cooked vegetables and other food items.
- The thickness of your hand is the perfect measuring tool when it comes to fixing the portion size for food items like pita bread or burgers, idli, paratha, roti and other types of bread.
Did you know that the amount of protein intake you need is highly dependent upon your body weight?
2. Don't skip meals
Eating small meals for around 4 to 5 times in a day is more efficient when it comes to maintaining or reducing your weight as compared to eating three meals which contain large portion sizes.
The efficiency stems from the fact that smaller meals throughout the day help in speeding up your metabolism.
When it comes to skipping meals in order to lose fat, this method might actually miss-fire owing to the way in which this habit increases your inclination towards stuffing yourself with high calorie meals later on during the day.
When you follow such a diet patter, you will find that whenever you choose to eat later in the day, you choose to eat more to fill up the deficit that was caused due to the skipping of meals.
Do not skip meals. This is a big mistake that will contribute towards making you more fat.
3. Turn off the TV
Whenever you eat in front of the TV, you are prone to increased levels of distraction which are directly related to higher levels of consumption as well as higher calorie intake.
In other words, the more you watch TV, the more calories you consume.
Hold on tiger! I've got something to tell you.
There is an app that I want to personally recommend to you. StayWow is a Lifestyle Change App for fitness enthusiasts just like you!
India’s top behaviour change specialists, qualified dietitians, and fitness coaches will work to help you create a livable healthy lifestyle that you can sustain for life long.
StayWow will help you build healthy rituals, just like a professional athlete.
Whether you're completely new to fitness or a seasoned pro, this app will help you reach the next level. Take a look!